Flemish Northern Renaissance Painter, 1505-1566
was a Renaissance painter, architect and theorist for the Prince-Bishopric of Liege. During his career he worked for Jan Gossaert in Middelburg and trained Frans Floris. In 1532 he became court painter and architect in Liege. A few paintings and many drawings have been preserved. In 1537 he was sent to Rome by Erard de la Marck, prince-bishop of Liege, to buy works of art, and he discovered the wonders of the Italian Renaissance. On his return he brought not only works of art, but also the new ideas concerning art and the position of the artist, to Liege.