Oil On Canvas, Real Flavor of Old Masters

Amandus Adamson

Amandus Adamson Evening near Paldiski oil painting on canvas
Evening near Paldiski
Painting ID::  75512
new24/Amandus Adamson-736444.jpg



Amandus Adamson Evening near Paldiski oil painting on canvas



Visit European Gallery


  Amandus Adamson
  (12 November 1855, Uuga-Rätsepa, near Paldiski -26 June 1929, Paldiski) was an Estonian sculptor and painter. Born into a seafaring family, Adamson excelled in wood carving as a child. He moved to St. Petersburg in 1875 to study at the Imperial Academy of Arts under Alexander Bock. After graduation he continued to work as a sculptor and teacher in St. Petersburg, with an interruption from 1887 through 1891 to study in Paris and Italy, influenced by the French sculptors Jules Dalou and Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux. Adamson produced his best-known work in 1902. His Russalka Memorial, dedicated to the 177 lost sailors of the Ironclad warship Russalka, features a bronze angel on a slender column. The other work is architectural. His four allegorical bronzes for the Eliseyev department store in St. Petersburg (for architect Gavriil Baranovsky), and the French-style caryatids and finial figures for the Singer House (for architect Pavel Suzor) are major components of the "Russian Art Nouveau" visible along Nevsky Prospekt.
  Evening near Paldiski
  Date 2nd half of 1890s - 1910s Medium Oil on canvas Dimensions 32.5 X 45.3 cm (12.8 X 17.83 in) cyf

  Related Paintings::.
  | Beach at Heist | Young Seated Boy with Cap (mk39) | Pang map of the iceberg Schwarz |


Prev Painting       Next Painting