(5 March 1851 - 15 April 1901) was a Czech academic painter.
Since 1868 he studied at the Academy of Arts in Prague, Dresden, and Munich. In 1879 he went on study journey to the Netherlands.
He married a daughter of a wealthy art dealer in Paris, who helped him achieve success in French high society. He divided his time between Prague, where he taught at the Academy since 1893, and Paris. In 1896 he was elected as a foreign member and the successor of John Millais in the French Academie des beaux-arts. He died suddenly of cardiac failure and is buried at the Cimetiere de Montmartre.